Central Government. Ministerial Body.
As a HEO Category Officer you will report to a Senior Category Officer (SEO) and will undertake activities at the agreed HEO level. This job description is generic and may apply to all Category Officer posts. You might be asked to work (at an agreed level) across a number of different commercial areas within the organisation.
- Deliver and support in the delivery of projects, procurements and contract / supplier management across the full commercial life cycle providing functional / specialist input to improve ways of working and business change and efficiency.
- Be responsible for explaining specialist commercial guidance to operational teams in order to influence compliance with policy / legislation / best practice ways of working and contribute to the delivery of business plans.
- Keep up to date on changing legislation / best practice externally, to inform internal priorities and appropriate alignment.
- Contribute to the development of policy / process at national / local level and monitor and advise on effective implementation in the business, in line with environmental targets.
- Build and sustain effective relationships with operational customers to understand issues and provide effective response / steer for operational needs.
- Train and help others on policies, procedures, practices and techniques equipping them with the knowledge and skills to deliver their work in an effective and efficient manner.
- Support team members to deliver results on time, to required quality standards and cost to fulfil the business plan and achieve / support environmental goals.
- Support the delivery of contracts such that sustainable impacts and opportunities are identified and managed throughout the commercial lifecycle.
- Manage your own resources to meet business needs, including electronic sourcing and contract management applications, to maximise the efficient and effective use of finances and people in order to ensure that all activities are completed to time, cost and quality targets.
- Support the development of sub-category and category plans and develop your own market category knowledge and expertise.
The following Experience is essential to this post and will be tested at sift and interview.
- Experience at having influenced operational commercial decisions at an operational level;
- Evidence that you have a track record of having set high commercial standards and delivered measurable results in a complex and demanding environment;
- That you have supported medium risk contract award negotiations and resolved dispute resolutions through negotiation;
- A track record of having worked with stakeholders in a commercial environment and that you have successfully influenced and challenged to ensure the best result;
- A history of having built and maintained strong and productive working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers;
- Experience of having effectively analysed financial and non-financial information;
- A track record of effective communication with a wide range of stakeholders (at all levels) both in a technical and non-technical environment.
- That you have a track record of having delivered improvements to ways of working and that this has resulted in embedded change.
Although not essential, we would prefer you to be working towards (or be fully qualified) a MCIPS, IACCM. If this is not applicable then we will be looking for robust evidence of equivalent experience.
Other professional qualifications, such as Prince2, Lean or APM qualifications would be of significant interest as well.
Time to study
Civil Service Pension
An excellent and agile working environment
Some home working